Friday, February 4, 2011

February First Friday/Nathan Perry

Nathan Perry is our guest Artist this Feb 4. His intricate works in graphite, ink and on scratchboard are a great reason to come up the stairs to Upstairs Studio tonight.

Nathan Perry Artist Statement:
During the summer of 1994 while touring the glorious countryside of Holland and Belgium on a used Schwinn bicycle I purchased for ten Dutch guilders (or $4.50 American), I intuitively received a powerful vision of a painting entitled "The Adoration of the Mystic Lamb". The artwork is a very detailed religious narrative painted in 1432 by Northern Renaissance artist Jan Van Eyke. Not giving the mental picture too much thought, I left the city of Antwerp to go to Gent, Belgium. The closer I drew to the township however, the more intense the picture became. As I entered the city center, a row of cathedrals greeted me. One in particular, beckoned me to enter. As I did, the painting I had been thinking about was now physically in front of me. I can remember being ensconced by the care in the brushwork, attention to detail and the gem like colors that seemed to glow from an internal light source. The experience was mystical and effected my artistic direction immensely. I knew right then that I was to follow my passion for art and make it my life’s work.

I create elaborate drawings and paintings emulating the techniques of the masters. This great art from the past has an everlasting quality that remains fresh to contemporary eyes. My subject matter is fashioned after its figurative, natural, and iconography content. By depicting these themes, I try to express that life is much more than what we have become accustomed to in the physical world.  There is an infinite world that transcends what we see around us and reveals a deeper meaning to life. The production of art is a therapeutic experience which drives me to go deep into my consciousness. The process of creation is as necessary to me as the overall finished composition. I learn such a great deal about my mind’s potential during a picture’s development.



 Sneak Preview-It's a great show


 Detail of Ink Drawing


Another detail of Drawing


Sorry for the glare spots from the glass in photos-more information about Nathan can be found on his website.

That's not all the happenings tonight-

We will be kicking off our next Artist Challenge-"March Mini's". You can sign up and get the information tonight from 5-9.  If you can't make it and are interested-watch the blog as we will post how you can participate if you were not able to make it to First Friday and want to participate.

Carol Lambert will doing another demo tonight too-her oil painting still life demo was quite popular last month. You can see some of her process and get inspired and sign up for her painting classes.

These are a few of the many art filled reasons to "Come on Up" to 
Upstairs Studio tonight, Feb 4 from 5-9pm. Our Studio Artist also have their ever changing works on display and for sale also.

See you there!








No comments:

Post a Comment